What is domestic violence?
Domestic violence is a pattern of violence one person uses to gain control over the other in a relationship.
Domestic violence is family violence between intimate partners who have shared a romantic or marital-like relationship, boyfriend/girlfriend including those who share a child.
Child abuse and abuse of the elderly and disabled are also domestic-related instances.
Domestic violence may take many forms, but its goal is always the same -- batterers want to control their domestic partners through fear. Domestic violence is intentional behavior - not a momentary loss of control.
Some forms of domestic violence include:
- Sexual Violence
- Economic control
- Abusing trust
- Threats and intimidation
- Emotional withholding
- Destruction of property
- Self destructive behavior
- Animal Abuse
How many people are affected?
Statistics from 2007 show:
- 3485 total calls taken by A Better Way in Delaware County*
- 112 adults were served in an emergency shelter in Delaware County*
- 110 children were served in an emergency shelter in Delaware County*
(* Information from A Better Way statistics)
- From July 1, 2008 to June 30, 2009 there 49 deaths related to domestic violence in the State of Indiana¥
- During this same time period there 98,828 calls to the Crisis Line related to domestic violence in the State of Indiana¥
(¥ Information from violenceresource.org/stats)
- Investigate domestic related crimes
- Work with the prosecutor’s office to bring batterers to trial
- Constant communication with the prosecutor’s office to insure progressiveness of cases
- Inform community about domestic violence and its prevalence
- Inform Child Protective Services about children who are exposed to domestic violence
Jami Brown, Investigator
Jami Brown is the domestic violence investigator for the City of Muncie. She has held this position since 1998. Over the past 11 years she has investigated over 1,200 domestic violence cases, averaging over 100 cases a year. Jami combines compassion for victims with her diligence to investigate domestic violence.
Our office is open Monday thru Friday 8am to 4pm.
Address: 300 North High Street Muncie, IN 47305, 2nd floor, please call ahead.